[Lancaster] Linux on a Laptop

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Tue Jun 1 11:36:56 BST 2004

I've just got hold of a 2nd hand IBM Thinkpad T21 (PIII, 800MHz, 384MB
RAM) and have installed SuSE Linux v9.1 Professional. No MS Windows,
just Linux.

SuSE correctly identified all hardware, including the built in NIC,
modem and sound card. The only 'manual' setup (via YAST) that I had to
do was to change network setup from DHCP to static IP address and to
confirm that Yast should load the driver package for the modem.

Most of you know by now that I'm a fan of Suse, but I have to say that
I'm impressed by this version. Everything that I've tried so far (and
there's a lot to try) works without any hickups. I've also installed
SuSE v9.1 on my test box (500MHz K6 II) and on an Athlon box with
similar positive results. Both of these boxes dual boot Linux/MS Windows.

By way of contrast, when I tried to do an installation of Mandrake
v10.0, I quickly found 5 bugs/problems. Have to admit that I haven't
tried again.