[Lancaster] Re: Books on Linux

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Thu Jun 3 15:48:38 BST 2004

Here's some books that I've got and have found useful:

1. "Linux: Networking for your Office", Roderick W.Smith, SAMS, 2000,
ISBN 0-672-31792-3
This is a few years old (Red Hat 6.0), but still useful. It covers
mixing Linux and MS Windows systems.

2. "GNU C++ For Linux", Tom Swan, QUE, 2000, ISBN 0-7897-2153-8
I'm into C rather than C++, but this might be good for C++ freaks.

3. "Linux Programming by Example", Kurt Wall, QUE, 2000, ISBN 0-7897-2215-1
A good introduction into ('C') programming under Linux. It includes a
wide range of topics such as: System programming, APIs, Interprocess
comms (eg pipes, fifos, TCP/IP and sockets). There are sections about
using Makefiles and 'ncurses'  -- really good basic stuff.  I find this
book easy to read.

My old SuSE Linux v8.2 installation includes the following:

1. "Linux Installation and Getting Started", Matt Welsh et al, 1998
About 350 pages of info. in pdf format.

2. "The Linux Programmers Guide", Sven Goldt, et al, circa 1995
Approx 130 pages in pdf format.

3. "Linux Network Administrators Guide". A mere 500 or so pages, again
in pdf format

4. "The Linux Systems Administrators Guide", Lars Wizenius, et al
Around 100 pages in pdf.

5. "The Linux Users Guide". Although not recent, this is around 170
pages of easily readable stuff for newbies. A good intro as to what
Unix/Linux is about.

The five above are from the Linux Documentation Project and might have
been updated by now.

If I knew half of what is covered in the above, I doubt that I would
need to ask you guys for much help!