[Lancaster] Re: the kitchen network.

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Mon Jun 7 11:43:43 BST 2004

Andy,

That would be good. I take it that you are in favour of setting up a new
server config. What about everybody else?

I suggested setting up a base installation at home, because time at the
folly is limited. What are your thoughts on this? If positive, What
software should be installed?

WRT distro, Debian Woody is now somewhat out of date (2.4.x kernel and
then only if you ask for it). If you don't know Debian, it's a real pain.

Sarge has 2.6.x, but is this yet signed off?

I guess you know my preference, based not just on my own experience, but
also reviews in the likes of Linux Mag. and Linux Format. SuSE Linux
consistantly comes out well in reviews. Version 9.1 Professional is good
and again has received good reviews. I've yet to find any problems with
it (have now installed it on three different PCs including a laptop).
With the backing of Novell, it looks good for the future. SuSE v9.1 has
kernel v2.6.4, KDE v3.2.1, Open Office v1.1.1, Gimp v2.0, K3b v0.11.7,
SCRIBUS v1.1.6, Mozilla Firefox v0.8 and a lot of other new stuff -- 5
CDs worth (or a DVD).

Other possibilities are:

Fedora Core 2    (offshoot of Red Hat)
Has received good reports. Haven't tried it yet.

Mandrake v10.0
Has received good reports, but even Martin admits it has problems. I
found 5 when I attempted to install it.

I have copies of all three distros, also (an early release?) of Debian
Sarge v3.1.

My programme this week is a bit full. Amoung other things, I have to
reconnoitre a walk that I'm to lead (from Patterdale onto Fairfield, etc).

BTW, do we have a technical spec for the server box? It would be useful
to establish what hardware it contains to see if it's worth upgrading
any of it. For example, how big and how fast is the hard drive?

Regards

Ken Hough

andy baxter wrote:

 > I'll help get the ftp and web server/wiki running if you like - could
meet
 > you at the folly some time next week? I'd go for debian woody for a
server
 > (what I run at home), but if you'd rather avoid debian, maybe something
 > else. any day next week would be ok for me - could you email me to
let me know if you want to make a date to do it together?