[Lancaster] Re: the kitchen network.

Martyn Welch welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Mon Jun 7 13:30:28 BST 2004

I have managed to get a debian/testing (sarge?) box up and running at uni and
it seems stable, it uses the 2.4.26 kernel. I guess it would be best to stay
with the 2.4.x tree for a little longer for servers.

I'm against both Mandrake and SUSE for this box, too graphically orientated.
This is a web server, it doesn't need X, in fact it would be far better if it
didn't. Most of the Mandrake and SUSE tools require X and probably the GTK
libraries as well, most of the useful tools will be useless from the command
line hence I would favour Debian or Fedora. However I have read many reviews
of Fedora core 2 which have been less than positive.

If nothing critical comes up I can try and take Wed afternoon off if anyone is
interested in doing some stuff then?

Martyn