[Lancaster] Trying Debian --- Again.

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Fri Jun 11 16:15:41 BST 2004

In view of the Debian support within the group, I've been having yet
another attempt to get 'Woody' up and running.

At last I've got an X terminal working. This was no thanks to the Debian
installation programme which was not successful, despite trying several
times since with parameters that I know to be correct.

I then found 'xf86cfg' which kept crashing when I tried to set up my
mouse. I got over this one by manually setting a soft link named
(surprise?) '/dev/mouse' to point to '/dev/psaux'. I then discovered
that the X config was, by default, written to
'/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config'. This is a long way from /etc/X11/.

I eventually discovered that Debian (unlike other distros and the
standard config tools) requires the config to be named XF86Config-4
rather than XF86Config. I know, I should read the small print.

After redirecting the output to the correct place/name (see below), I
did get a working X terminal, BUT at only 8 bit colour depth! Why on
earth is this next to useless prog included?

I then fell back on my old friend 'xf86config' (have known this since
SuSE v6.2) and after renaming the resulting config file got a fully
working X terminal.

I'm begining to understand why Debian fans like to hand edit configs.
They have no choice!

Can anyone tell me how to go about setting up a sound card under Debian?
  I don't wish to go on line to download info. This is an isolated
test/experimental box.