[Lancaster] Re: debian woody (is:) ) sound.

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Mon Jun 14 14:59:13 BST 2004

Andy,

After two successive hard days out on the fells, I feel shattered today=20
and so decided to try out your suggestions re sound under Debian.

The good news is that I've got a Soundblaster 5.1 card running , but it=20
wasn't easy. I know the sound card config is ok, because after adding my =

user account to group 'audio', I get intro music on starting KDE.

I managed to load 'aptitude'. 'synaptic' is not on the CD. I looked for=20
'alsa-base', etc, but there's no 'asla' stuff. Instead I found=20
'sndconfig' (uses OSS) which managed to set up the sound card and play=20
Linus' Thorvalds melodious tones. 'lsmod' showed modules 'emu10k1',=20
'sound', 'soundcore' and 'ac97_codec' were loaded.

I couldn't discover any way to use 'aptitude' to scan the contents of=20
the CD archive for specific items (as I can with YAST -- even using wild =

cards) so it was a pain to search manually. I must be missing something=20
here.

Anyway, I could not find the likes of 'kmix' or 'kscd' or any command=20
line equivalents and so could not use the sound card. I tried via=20
'gnome', but  neither the mixer nor the CD player applets worked.

I will have another look soon, after the headache subsides. 'aptitude'=20
is a help in getting into Debian, but at first, not easy to use.

Thanks for your help.

Ken Hough