[Lancaster] Re: debian woody (is:) ) sound.

Rupert Levene r.levene at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Jun 14 16:18:50 BST 2004

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 03:39:47PM +0100, Ken Hough wrote:
> I couldn't discover any way to use 'aptitude' to scan the contents of
> the CD archive for specific items (as I can with YAST -- even using wild
> cards) so it was a pain to search manually. I must be missing something
> here.

You can search for packages in aptitude by hitting "/" as mentioned in
the help (hit "?"). More details (regexp searches) in

  /usr/share/doc/aptitude/README

All the packages on the cd should be shown in aptitude. You can use
apt-cdrom(8) to add the contents of new cds if not.

> Anyway, I could not find the likes of 'kmix' or 'kscd' or any
> command line equivalents and so could not use the sound card. I
> tried via 'gnome', but neither the mixer nor the CD player applets
> worked.

try

  apt-cache search mixer

or search for the specific file on packages.debian.org -- in this case,

  apt-cache search kmix
  apt-cache search kscd

turn up hopeful looking candidates to me. use

  apt-cache show <packagename>

to see what the hits are.

HTH,
Rupert