[Lancaster] Re: Debian sound,etc

Andy Baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Fri Jun 18 16:13:39 BST 2004

I have copies of disks 1 & 2, and I'm downloading disk3 atm. I'll leave them
at the folly maybe tomorrow or early next week.

Incidentally, if you just need to download a few programs, you don't need the
whole iso images.

Set up a suitable ftp source in your /etc/apt/sources.list. E.G.:

/etc/apt/sources.list:

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r1 _Woody_ - Official i386 Binary-2
(20021218)]/ unstable contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r1 _Woody_ - Official i386 Binary-1
(20021218)]/ unstable contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main
deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
# deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ testing stable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free

(Uncomment the 'testing' line if you want to use packages from 'testing')

Then run apt-get update.

Now you can install packages from the ftp archive directly over the modem (I
used to do this b4 i had broadband, and for a few programs it doesn't take
too long). Or else run 'apt-get --print-uris install <packagelist>'. This
will print out a list of package urls that you need to download to install
that package, which you could run through wget or similar on another machine
with a broadband or better connection, save the package files to removable
media (e.g. usb flash drive?) then bring them back, put them
in /var/cache/apt/archives, and run apt-get again to install them.