[Lancaster] suse install report

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Wed Jun 23 11:30:57 BST 2004

Andy Baxter wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 June 2004 22:58, you wrote:
>
>>Andy Baxter wrote:
>>
>>>I just had a go at doing the ftp install of suse 9.1. I downloaded the
>>>whole ftp site to my server, and then used this to do a local http
>>>install - just mounted the mirror directory into apache's www directory.
>>>I managed to start it from a small partition on the hard disk - just
>>>copied the boot loader directory into a 64M partition, then set lilo to
>>>boot from that to start the install.
>>
>>It must be good to have broadband. Some of us have to get things via
>>snail mail, more expensive, but that way you get 5 CDs, 2 DVDs and
>>manuals. It includes 64 bit versions for power freaks. Go for the
>>upgrade version of 9.1 Professional. Cost is then only 64 Euros (ca £45).
>>
>>The default boot loader for SuSE 9.1 is grub.
>

> I just had a go with this - a bit harder to get my head round, but a nice
> program.

I'm not fully familiar with grub. It's claimed to be better than 'lilo'.
The actions of grub are largely defined in '/boot/grub/menu.lst'. After
editing this file, a reboot will pick up the changes, unlike lilo.

>>>I like the Yast a lot, and I'm quite impressed with how they have
>>>set things up. The only criticisms from a brief look round is a couple of
>>>unexpected app crashes, which is disappointing,
>>
>>So far, I haven't had any crashes with 9.1. Which apps crashed?
>

> konqueror, and another one i can't remember (one of the panel mini-apps)

I have had crashes with konquerer in the past, but so far not with SuSE
v9.1. For internet access I use mozilla.

>>>and also the package manager
>>>would be easier to use if the apps were listed under sections like in
>>>mandrake or debian.
>>
>>They can be if you so choose. Under 'Software/Install and Remove
>>Software/Filter'.
>

> Just figured this out.
>

>>>Also they hadn't put rezound on it, which is a shame as
>>>its a nice audio editor.
>>
>>I don't know rezound, but have used old broadcast2000 successfully and
>>have played with audacity.
>

> I like it - a good interface and quite quick to zoom in and out and move round
> long (album length) recordings.

I've used krecord (so simple/clean and has a sig level meter) to produce
LP sized .wav files, followed by gramofile to clean up clicks and then
broadcast2000 to do detailed editing.

>>>gimp 2.0 was on, unlike mandrake 10.0 which is still
>>>using gimp 1.2
>>
>>I like gimp.
>

> ditto. I'm building a machine for a friend, and i wanted a distro which has
> gimp 2.0, because i always found the 1.2 interface offputting. Also I tried
> mandrake 10.0 and had a few problems with it that put me off.

Gimp will be a shock to MS Windows/Photoshop users. It has a very
different user interface, but is good.

>>>A side effect of this is I now have 4G of suse packages on my server's
>>>hard disk, so if anyone wants to try a network install of 9.1, I can
>>>bring this machine down to the next meeting.
>>
>>Alternatively, we could do it via my laptop using the DVD. SuSE will
>>install remotely via NFS which makes life very easy.
>

> Might be easier to bring down... depends if anyone else wants a copy.

I'll bring the laptop anyway.