[Lancaster] Laptop Power Managment

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Tue Jun 29 16:06:16 BST 2004

Is there anybody out there who is familiar with battery/power management
on laptop PCs and in particular APM/ACPI?

I'm new to this. I've recently got an IBM Thinkpad T21 and am running
SuSE v9.1. The SuSE Manual does cover APM and ACPI to some extent, but I
would appreciate help on the following:

1. The pros, cons of APM and ACPI. I have run with APM and then with
ACPI. Can do this by boot instructions 'apm=on/off' and 'acpi=on/off'. I
get appropriate info and directories under /proc, so both seem to work.

2. The battery in the T21 is rated at 38800mWHr, but under acpi, 'cat
/proc/battery/BAT0/state' always reports a full charge of only
17600mWHr. It's not a new battery, but the fact it always reports
exactly 17600 seems suspicious to me.

I will bring this laptop with me to the Folly tomorrow evening (ie
Wednesday 30th June)