[Lancaster] Complaint and offer

Tim Churchill tchurchill at omne.uk.net
Sat May 1 16:38:30 BST 2004

As a new member (?) I would have been interested to meet some of you,
so turned up at the Folly last Wed. at 7.10pm. I waited for 10 mins
and then left. It is not much fun sitting by your bike on a cold
evening.

I have a couple of desktop PCs that need a home. I haven't analysed
them recently, but if I remember rightly they have Celerons of about
500MHz and a few Gigs in the HDs. The Floppy drives need the
wormdrives cleaning as they tend to stick through lack of use. The
HDs need wiping to get rid of their present Win 98 and past business
associations - I use Killdisk for this. They both take PS2
connections.

I recently installed SUSE 9 (cover disk) on an AMD 500 PC, and that
was trouble free, whereas ArkLinux (which is designed for more modern
PCs) gave a Kernel panic. ArkLinux will definitely be one to go for
for a beginner with a modern PC, especially when they sort out the
remaining problems. I have tried Debian once and gave up the attempt
as I couldn't get past the command line. A bit peaving really as I
had downloaded a complete set of ISOs, and I thought Debian was the
flavour to go for when using Sound software.

Tim.