[Lancaster] Complaint and offer

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Mon May 3 22:32:10 BST 2004

Tim,

Sorry that you didn't meet anyone last Wednesday evening. I was there
from about 7.30 onwards and Mark arrived some time after that. Taylor
(the Folly director)was also there, but tied up in a meeting.

I'm sure that your spare PCs would find a home within the group. I would
be happy to check them over before turning them over to the gurus. I
hope to get down to Lancaster one day this week with some PCs that I've
already sorted. Perhaps we could arrange to meet up. Let me know.

If the contents of the hard discs on your PCs are sensitive, then we
could wipe them using the HD manufacturers low level diagnostic stuff.
ie write zeros to the entire disc. I have the software for most
manutacturers, except Toshiba of course.

As you will have gathered from my previous postings, I favour SuSE. I
suggest that it is suitable for newbies. Just accept the default options
and let SuSE do it's stuff. On the other hand, if you know what you are
doing, it's easy to set up the system to your own spec.

I haven't tried ArkLinux and so can't comment. I'd better not make any
more comments re Debian (chuckle!).

Keep in touch

Hope to see you sometime

Ken Hough

Tim Churchill wrote:

 > As a new member (?) I would have been interested to meet some of you,
so turned up at the Folly last Wed. at 7.10pm. I waited for 10 mins and
then left. It is not much fun sitting by your bike on a cold evening.

 > I have a couple of desktop PCs that need a home. I haven't analysed
them recently, but if I remember rightly they have Celerons of about
500MHz and a few Gigs in the HDs. The Floppy drives need the wormdrives
cleaning as they tend to stick through lack of use. The HDs need wiping
to get rid of their present Win 98 and past business associations - I
use Killdisk for this. They both take PS2 connections.

 > I recently installed SUSE 9 (cover disk) on an AMD 500 PC, and that
was trouble free, whereas ArkLinux (which is designed for more modern
PCs) gave a Kernel panic. ArkLinux will definitely be one to go for for
a beginner with a modern PC, especially when they sort out the remaining
problems. I have tried Debian once and gave up the attempt as I couldn't
get past the command line. A bit peaving really as I had downloaded a
complete set of ISOs, and I thought Debian was the flavour to go for
when using Sound software.