[Lancaster] folly machines.

Martyn Welch welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Wed May 12 12:06:16 BST 2004

Hi Guys,

Sorry I didn't manage to make it down on Tuesday, lots of work on at the
moment and I suppose that has got to take precident.

My interpretation of what Taylor required seems consistent. My aim was to get
all the Tiny boxes working, or at least PC's in the Tiny boxes. A set of
uniform looking PC's is better than loads of random cases. Is the Dell box
still downstairs? I was hoping this machine could be located in the office,
permanently on (out of the way of fingers) if this box is turned off the rest
won't work so it would be better if it is not directly used.

I'm kind of unsure of how we are going to provide log on, we don't want all
the machines logging on as the same person (e.g. Guest), however the
administration and usage problems of giving each person a separate account
might want to be avoided unless limiting access is required.

For day to day use it might be worth researching KDE's Kiosk mode, pointed at
a specific local website? Heard about it, know nowt about it. With separate
accounts activated for people doing workshops etc.

It might be worth looking into the "Linux Terminal Server Project" since we
are basically trying to replicate this. No point reinventing the wheel.

I think we need to make the machines as uniform and "plug and play" as humanly
possible. We need to standardise on say 2 button serial mice, din keyboards
and the compaq (or as close as possible) monitors we have. Floppy drives in
the machines if we must to make the cases look OK, but no CDROMs in the base
units. They need to resolve there name and IP address from DHCP. The Xserver
needs to be setup to accept X broadcast requests, so they automatically find
the server. These boxes need to work when they are hauled out of storage, a
mouse, keyboard and screen attached and turned on. No fiddling.

I like the idea of providing a burner, but this could be a secondary "service"
task. Maybe a box with a webserver which accepts files and can be told to
burn once all the required files are uploaded - via a secured webform. This
is a service, if it is switched off it won't kill the entire system and will
bow out relatively smoothly.

What does everybody else think?

Martyn