[Lancaster] Software Freedom Day

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Wed Aug 3 09:53:23 BST 2005

Martyn Welch wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is this something we should be very interested in? :-)
>
> http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/
>
> Martyn

Yes! I would like to help if possible.

 From what you were saying last PM, I assume that this is likely to be
at the Uni. and could take the form of an 'install fest'. I could be
available from mid morning to late afternoon.

What should the programme be? What distros/software are to be offered
and how? I guess that in most cases CD/DVD installation will be used, so
  we would need to provide enough CDs/DVDs to cover, bearing in mind
that on low/medium spec PCs, installation takes some time. Could also do
network installs. Have done this several times using SuSE -- just need a
set of boot floppies to start things off.

Maybe we should also reckon on providing things like 'Open Office' and
other stuff for people who are not yet brave enough to dump MS Windows.
We could help these guys on their way by handing out copies of 'Knoppix'.

One more point: Are we going to get involved with dual booting?

The usual default options can introduce a lot of problems when the
inevitable re-installation of MS Windows is done. Also, I understand
that there can be problems with NTFS partitions (ie Windows XP).