[Lancaster] New member

Martyn Welch welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Wed Aug 10 09:16:48 BST 2005

- ------ Original message ------
On Tuesday 09 Aug 2005 18:35, Adam Stirland wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My name is Adam, I'm a IT Technician for a high school in Preston and
> I'm a member of the Preston LUG, but I'm going to be moving to Lancaster
> in January 2006 so I thought I'd sign up and introduce myself as the
> Lancaster LUG will soon be my local LUG.

Hi Adam :-)

> A quick question - Does anyone have a map of Lancaster that shows the
> APs that are in the area?  I remember seeing some a while ago (on
> lancasterwireless.org I think) but I can't find them anymore and the
> lancasterwireless.org site is down.

That's the one I was thinking of and google only caches the text, not the
images.

> I'm thinking of using a wireless map to decide were abouts in Lancaster
> to move (yes, i know that's sad).

It's getting a bit expensive these days:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/25/uk_war_driver_fined/

> Also, I'm thinking of leaving my AP open (when I move to Lancaster) so
> that I can share my bandwidth with anyone who cares to use it.  How
> good/bad of an idea is this and what sort of problems (other than "1337
> h4xx0r5 r0071n9 my b0x") could this cause?  Thoughts, ideas and opinions
> welcome.

Depends on implementation. There is also an issue with liability. If someone
downloads shed loads of illegal content using your unprotected wireless link
you would have to prove it wasn't you... Maybe a little paranoid...

Alternatively at least one member of the lug is looking heavily into wireless
mesh technology and sign-on based wireless access...

> I look forward to meeting you all when I attend my first LLUG meeting
> (sometime in Jan/Feb).

Like wise,

Martyn

- --