[Lancaster] New member

Matt S Trout lancaster-lug at trout.me.uk
Tue Aug 9 21:14:03 BST 2005

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 09:06:18PM +0100, Andy Baxter wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 Aug 2005 18:35, Adam Stirland wrote:
>
> > Also, I'm thinking of leaving my AP open (when I move to Lancaster) so
> > that I can share my bandwidth with anyone who cares to use it.  How
> > good/bad of an idea is this and what sort of problems (other than "1337
> > h4xx0r5 r0071n9 my b0x") could this cause?  Thoughts, ideas and opinions
> > welcome.
> >
> > I look forward to meeting you all when I attend my first LLUG meeting
> > (sometime in Jan/Feb).
> >
> > Adam.
>
> have a look at:
>
> http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/51
>
> there's an article on how to set up your wireless network with a VPN, which
> should mean that any machines you are running are secure, but people can
> still connect at the network layer if they want to.

Or, of course, you just stick an extra network card in your ipcop/smoothwall/
whatever box and put the wireless stuff on a different network with firewalled
access only to the physical LAN.

--
     Matt S Trout           Website: http://www.shadowcatsystems.co.uk
  Technical Director        E-mail:  mst (at) shadowcatsystems.co.uk