[Lancaster] Software Freedom Day

Martyn Welch welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Tue Aug 30 14:55:30 BST 2005

- ------ Original message ------
On Tuesday 30 Aug 2005 11:43, Kristof Van Laerhoven wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It's official now: we're organising an install fest! <yippie>

Woot!

> The venue is booked for the afternoon of Saturday, 10th of September
> (which is software freedom day: http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/),
>
> at Infolab21, Lancaster University (http://www.infolab21.lancs.ac.uk/)

Yup, that's that big green and orange building - can't miss it, near glows in
the dark :-) (and according to the people whom unfortunately own houses
nearby, at least as far as has been reported in the press, you'd think that
is was built by satan himself!)

> The few people that are involved so far cannot do this on their own
> though, so any help would be more than welcome:

Which would be Kristof and me, so Please, please, please help! (with cherry on
top)

> - does anyone have suggestions? Ken has already mailed several great
> ones, additional ideas are well appreciated

1) Name badges - I have colour bubble jet and sticky labels...

2) Questionaire for when people turn up, see:
 http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Installfest-HOWTO/datasheet.html
But prettier and a little less geek orientated.

> - anyone of you that has installed a Linux distro has the expertise to
> help out at the event itself (which probably is 99.99% of this list):
> please let us know if you can make it, the more the merrier!

We will probably apprieciate help from even those whom haven't installed
anything on the day - such as handing out questionaires explaining a little
more about Linux etc...

> - and finally publicity: we will soon (this week) produce posters and
> hang them around strategic places in Lancaster, including the campus
> here; if you own a window, shop, or pub (hmm..) in town where we could
> hang one, send us an email

Or if you know Landlords, shop owners etc...

> - if there are any other contributions that you can make: again please
> don't hesitate to mail us

Or chat to us at the next LUG meeting (Tuesday by the way - location and
activity to be confirmed)

Martyn

- --
Martyn Welch (welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk)