[Lancaster] Help Re Broadband Routers

Craig Graham craig at twolips-translations.co.uk
Thu Feb 3 12:12:08 GMT 2005

lancaster-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk wrote:
> I'm looking into getting broadband in the next month or so.
>
> Can anyone recommend an ADSL router that includes an ethernet switch,
> wi-fi, firewall, etc. I'm not using wi-fi at the moment, but
> would like
> to link the laptop this way in future.

Ooo. First post from someone who's been lurking occasionally for yonks.

It has no switch, but I can recommend the Intertex IX66. An 8 port
switch costs zilch anyway. I have an IX66 at home, there's one at the
office and the boss has one. They have ADSL modems, the new ones have
wifi, they have a USB port for direct connection to a PC and then two
separate ethernet ports for connection to two other different subnets
(you can have a demilitarised zone). Most significantly to me is that it
has SIP onboard, and the new software has loads of stuff for doing
advanced things with SIP, aimed at eventually replacing the standard
phones in one's house. It also has a very comprehensive UI and if you
want to you can go in and edit its equivalent of the IPTables rules
directly. They have DHCP and DNS servers in there as well, and if you're
not on a static IP there's the option to update a DynDNS service as
needed. I think they can also establish a PPTP or IPSec connection to a
remote server so any machines at home can use VPN transparently.

Nice bits of kit.

--
Dr. Craig Graham, Software Engineer
Advanced Analysis and Integration Limited, UK. http://www.aail.co.uk/