[Lancaster] Woot!

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Thu Feb 3 17:31:32 GMT 2005

Martyn Welch wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> It seems as though the European Parliment have voted to completely restart the
> software patent process:
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20050202162302114
>
> This is a very good thing for open source software, and software in general,
> in Europe.

Maybe the letter that I sent to my MP and MEP had the desired effect.

On a slightly different tack, it seems that the Dutch government had
secretly negotiated a deal with Microsoft for a 5 year contract worth
150-200 million euros. Some of the members of the Dutch parliament got
wind of this and have so far put the breaks on it.
(Ref: Linux Magazine, March 2005, page 12)