[Lancaster] Digital Image Processing -- EXIF data and RAW files

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Mon Jan 24 10:07:36 GMT 2005

For general info:

I recently bought a digital SLR camera and expected to have to run
Microsoft Windows to be able to read EXIF data and process RAW files.
However, SuSE Linux v9.1 Professional includes 'exif' and 'jhead' which
will both read EXIF data. I know that 'jhead' at least is available via
the web, but can't remember the location.

I've also discovered and installed a plugin for GIMP which allows me to
manipulate RAW files before loading directly into GIMP.

The plugin is 'rawphoto' and this makes uses the 'dcraw' utility, both
of these can be found via: > http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/

Both are provided as single 'C' source files which must be compiled.
This is very simple and clear intructions are given in the associated
help web page.

'dcraw' is claimed to support over 90 different cameras, including my
own (not well known in the UK) PENTAX *istD SLR.

Regards