[Lancaster] Linux audio workshop - first thoughts

Andy Baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Mon May 23 02:37:56 BST 2005

On Sunday 22 May 2005 21:28, Ken Hough wrote:
> Andy,
>
> Wow! There's food for thought!
>
> I'm interested in sound processing/editing, but so far mainly for
> recovering some of my old LPs to CD.
>
> I have used the likes of Krecord, Broadcast2000, Audacity and gramofile.

Have a look at rezound - it's better than audacity. (don't know about
broadcast2000). It has a gramofile-like track splitter, but it doesn't work
properly on the files I've tried.

> You may recall that I am a SuSE user, so that after installation things
> usually just work! I do not yet understand much of what the sound
> systems do "under the hood" and would like to make progress on that
> front.

I've started writing up those notes properly on the wiki at:
http://www.lancaster.lug.org.uk/modules.php?name=Guiki&MODE=SHOW&PAGE=Linux%20audio%20guide

I've only made a start on this. If anyone has anything they want to add, feel
free. I probably won't go into as much detail for all of it - probably put in
more links to stuff on the web that covers the same ground.

> I could provide a PC or two to play with. For example, an Athlon
> XP2200/512MB RAM or a 500Mz K6II/400MB RAM, both with hard drive caddies
> and plug in carriers which we could configure to suit the occasion and a
> laptop (800MHz PIII) with SuSE v9.1 installed, but internal sound
> hardware is a bit naff.

That could be handy as long as we can sort out the power / humidity (?)
problem.

--
Please don't send me html mail or un-notified attachments. These will be
automatically filed under 'probable spam' unless I'm expecting an email which