[Lancaster] Linux audio workshop - first thoughts

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Mon May 23 22:25:58 BST 2005

Andy Baxter wrote:
> On Sunday 22 May 2005 21:28, Ken Hough wrote:
>
>>Andy,
>>
>>Wow! There's food for thought!
>>
>>I'm interested in sound processing/editing, but so far mainly for
>>recovering some of my old LPs to CD.
>>
>>I have used the likes of Krecord, Broadcast2000, Audacity and gramofile.
>

> Have a look at rezound - it's better than audacity. (don't know about
> broadcast2000). It has a gramofile-like track splitter, but it doesn't work
> properly on the files I've tried.

You recommended 'rezound' to me some time ago. I did get around to
installing it, but was unable to get it working properly.

I find track splitting (via 'gramofile') not to be reliable. It should
be OK for tracks recorded at high level separated by silence, but is
very iffy on a lot of classical music. It's easier/more reliable to
identify the gaps visually via the likes of Broadcast2000 or audacity
and simply chop up as required.

'gramofile' does do a pretty good job of removing crackles and other
extreanious noises.

>>You may recall that I am a SuSE user, so that after installation things
>>usually just work! I do not yet understand much of what the sound
>>systems do "under the hood" and would like to make progress on that
>>front.
>

> I've started writing up those notes properly on the wiki at:
> http://www.lancaster.lug.org.uk/modules.php?name=Guiki&MODE=SHOW&PAGE=Linux%20audio%20guide

Will look when I next get time. Am presently panicking to get ready for
five visitors next weekend and to get myself packed ready for all six of
us to go to Scotland.

> I've only made a start on this. If anyone has anything they want to add, feel
> free. I probably won't go into as much detail for all of it - probably put in
> more links to stuff on the web that covers the same ground.
>

>>I could provide a PC or two to play with. For example, an Athlon
>>XP2200/512MB RAM or a 500Mz K6II/400MB RAM, both with hard drive caddies
>>and plug in carriers which we could configure to suit the occasion and a
>>laptop (800MHz PIII) with SuSE v9.1 installed, but internal sound
>>hardware is a bit naff.
>

> That could be handy as long as we can sort out the power / humidity (?)
> problem.

As the inside of a working PC gets quite warm, I can't see how humidity
can be the problem (unless resulting from corrosion over some time when
the machines are cold). Most routes on modern/fast PC motherboards are
of fairly low impedance.

BTW, is there to be a LUG meet this Wednesday (last of month) and where?
I might not be able to make it.

Regards