[Lancaster] Software Freedom Day

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Thu Sep 1 12:11:33 BST 2005

Kristof,

I intend bringing along my laptop (IBM Thinkpad, 800MHz PIII), running
SuSE Linux v9.1.

I could also bring an Athlon XP1600+/512MB based PC which can run as a
headless server holding a few Linux distros. Given sets of boot floppies
(and ethernet cards if needed), we could install via ethernet/FTP from
this PC, thus avoiding (or reducing) the need for lots of installation
CDs/DVDs.

If this is any use, have you any suggestions as to distros to load, or
for other possibilities? I currently have installation DVDs for SuSE
v9.1/v9.2, Fedora Core 4, Mandriva 10.1 and UBUNTU v5.04. Also have
Debian Sarg, but don't intend to include this for beginners.

I have Open Office and GIMP for MS Windows for those who aren't quite
ready to go for Linux.

What times do you anticipate starting/finishing the event? I need to
plan a few things to make sure that I can be there.

BTW, I'm not familier with Lancaster Uni'. Can you give me directions
and if possible car parking info'.

Ken Hough