[Lancaster] Help me select a distrob

Matt Fletcher matt at matt-fletcher.co.uk
Tue Apr 18 16:03:04 BST 2006

Debian may be a geek's distro, I cannot say as I have not used it, but I
have used Ubuntu for about a year now, and I have found it to be a very
user friendly operating system. It lives up to its "Linux for Human
Beings" tagline well. Although it does use DEBs for it's packages, like
Debian it uses the apt-get system to automatically download packages
(and their dependent packages) from the internet when you install them
by browsing for them in either a GUI package browser or using the
apt-get command line client.

If you have had experience with either the GNOME or KDE desktop
environments, I would pick the derivative you're already used to; Ubuntu
for GNOME, Kubuntu for KDE. Try and use both on someone else's machine
first to see which you prefer. I love the uncluttered desktop that GNOME
provides, but your needs may vary. I have set up a 5 machine network at
my local church using Kubuntu, and the youngsters there love it.

One final point on Ubuntu is that by using either the Automatix or Easy
Ubuntu packages, it is very easy to get your hands on the commercial
software (realplayer, adobe reader, dvd progs) that most distros choose
to omit from their software repositories.

Matt Fletcher

Email: info at matt-fletcher.co.uk
Web: http://www.matt-fletcher.co.uk/
Phone: 01524 426559