[Lancaster] Help me select a distrob

Ken Walton ken.walton at carandol.net
Tue Apr 18 15:40:33 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 14:18 +0100, Ken Hough wrote:
> AFAIK, Ubuntu uses DEB packages. Not too surprising as it's based on
> Debian. Mandriva, Fedora and SuSE all use RPM. Debian itself is a bit of
> a geek's distro. Personally, I find it a pain.

Yes, Ubuntu does use DEB packages, though there's a utility to convert
RPMs into DEBs, should you need to. I've switched to Ubuntu from SUSE
recently, and found it runs *much* faster on my old dual 600MHz, 256MB
desktop than SUSE did. I think it needs less base memory, so it doesn't
use the swap file half so much. And I've found the online documentation
for Ubuntu better than that for OpenSUSE. But I've only been running
Linux for 6 months or so, so I'm not the most experienced person to have
an opinion :-)

--
Ken Walton <ken.walton at carandol.net>