[Lancaster] Help me select a distrob

max* max at tofubandits.org.uk
Tue Apr 18 17:56:43 BST 2006

Hi HAB

Not easy to choose :-)

Mandriva and SuSE are definitely nice for starters - almost everything can be
done using a mouse. this is nice while you get used to things.

Ubuntu is also getting very popular - it does things in a different way
(encourages you to get into things in a less wizzardy way), but is
nevertheless extremely popular amongst people who just want to do things with
their computer (as opposed to doing things to their computer).

Mandriva used to be my main recommendation, because it was fairly standard
under the skin, so when you felt the time was right to start investigating,
you could swap and switch between using wizards and editing config files. but
the last few versions have got _very_messy, with lots of weird stuff going
on.

SuSE, although very good in lots of ways, (and near to my heart as my first
distribution about 10 yrs ago), is quite non-standard in too many areas, and
mixing the wizards and hand tuning is not recommended. (although this is
getting much better).

Fedora - i just find confusing these days. they just seem to be wandering
around thinking "ah yes, that'd be nice." (which isn't unusual when it comes
to choosing software, but is confusing when they can't make their minds up
about which graphical front end for installing software they promote).

Result: i usually recommend ubuntu. it has lots of wikis, newsgroups and
howtos - all of which are really important.

however, if you have a friend or nice neighbour who will be helping out, ask
them for their advice, since they'll be the easiest ones to ask in case of
difficulty!

As regards DEBs or RPMs, don't worry too  much about that. For starting off
it's best to just use the software that is available on your CD, and in the
'repositories' (ie sites with lots of software specifically put together for
your distro). If you start downloading rpms and such willy-nilly you can get
into awfully disempowering problems with something called 'dependencies'.

You can almost guarantee that all the software you want will be available
packaged up neatly for your favourite distribution.

Hope this helps!

max