[Lancaster] Help me select a distrob

Martyn Welch welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Tue Apr 18 17:42:41 BST 2006

Hi there,

I guess it's quite difficult for most Linux users to provide a balanced,
unbiased opinion of which distribution is best for another to use. Most users
have a favorite that they are likely to suggest and it ultimately will depend
on what you want to use your computer for.

Out of the two, Mandrake (with it's default KDE deskop) is likely to feel a
little more familiar to a recent windows convert and is likely (as far as I
know) to have more wizards to aid setting up things like scanners, printers
etc. As I said above, it ultimately depends on what you want to use your
computer for.

I used Mandrake for a long time, I've since moved to (K)ubuntu and debain, I
haven't used Fedora (more than having a vmware session lying around) so I
really shouldn't comment to much on that.

I'd suggest trying a few and making up your own mind!

Martyn