[Lancaster] Help me select a distrob

Clair lug at cds-world.co.uk
Thu Apr 20 00:14:16 BST 2006

>Ubuntu is also getting very popular - it does things in a different way
>(encourages you to get into things in a less wizzardy way), but is
>nevertheless extremely popular amongst people who just want to do things with
>their computer (as opposed to doing things to their computer).

I'd recommend this for beginners, but I don't like it myself. But it's a
personal taste.

>SuSE, although very good in lots of ways, (and near to my heart as my first
>distribution about 10 yrs ago), is quite non-standard in too many areas, and
>mixing the wizards and hand tuning is not recommended. (although this is
>getting much better).

I'd suggest avoiding SuSE - very non-standard and I dislike the wizards, and
the fact you _have_ to use them.

>Fedora - i just find confusing these days. they just seem to be wandering
>around thinking "ah yes, that'd be nice." (which isn't unusual when it comes
>to choosing software, but is confusing when they can't make their minds up
>about which graphical front end for installing software they promote).

FC5 is now all yum, there's now only one graphical frontend to it :)  - this
is what I recommend.

>Result: i usually recommend ubuntu. it has lots of wikis, newsgroups and
>howtos - all of which are really important.

I think they all do :)

Clair