[Lancaster] Help me select a distrob

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Fri Apr 21 10:39:25 BST 2006

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 09:35:10AM +0100, Ken Hough wrote:
> mp wrote:
> >The choice is yours, I am happily hung up on politics.
>
> Your choice, but I favour living in the real world with it's problems
> and considerable benefits. Idealism is fine for setting goals, but it
> seems to me, useless without a healthy measure of realism.

This just reads as rhetoric to discard someone else's viewpoint.
There is nothing unrealistic about using a distribution like Debian
in a business environment.  It would involve different choices and
structure than using, say, RHEL, but it is by no means unrealistic.

Similarly the resources that vendors like Red Hat and Novell plough
into the Linux community should not be dismissed with comments like
"they're just doing it to make money" -- well, duh!  If that were
always unredeemably bad then the world would have ended a long time
ago.

Balance is good.

BTW, my personal belief is that if you're new to Linux and want to
know which distribution to use then use the one that the people
around you are using, whatever that may be.  When you don't need as
much help on a regular basis then it is time to look for others that
may be more to your personal taste.

--
http://strugglers.net/wiki/Xen_hosting -- A Xen VPS hosting hobby
Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB