[Lancaster] Help me select a distrob

Martyn Welch welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Fri Apr 21 11:00:50 BST 2006

On Friday 21 April 2006 10:37, Andy Smith wrote:
> BTW, my personal belief is that if you're new to Linux and want to
> know which distribution to use then use the one that the people
> around you are using, whatever that may be.  When you don't need as
> much help on a regular basis then it is time to look for others that
> may be more to your personal taste.

I have to agree with that.

I started with Mandrake (back in the good old days, when even revisions were
stable and odd revisions weren't!), but mainly because that is what "Geek
Support" (Cheers Darren :-) ) used, though at the time it was a good choice
for a KDE desktop. Once I felt I was in the large expanses between newbie and
guru (damn that's a _large_ area - still trekking through it) then I played
around (Gentoo, Slackware, LFS - sort of, Debian). I have currently settled
on my (poss. temporary) choice.

If you don't have close geek support then out of the two you pre-selected, I'd
suggest that Mandriva will provide more wizardy hand holding, whilst Fedora
may provide more web-based support for the individual not afraid of reading
and fiddling. If you want wizardy hand holding, may I suggest that you also
concider suse, it may be slow, but it possibly has an edge on this at the
moment. If you want something more to fiddle with and learn about the guts,
then concider Ubuntu as an (equal) alternative to Fedora. If you want to
fiddle then try a few and use what feels good to you (of course balance this
with available support)- that's all that really matters.

Martyn

--

Martyn Welch (welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk)

PGP Key : http://ubicomp.lancs.ac.uk/~martyn/pgpkey/