[Lancaster] Re: Help -- Video importing/processing software

Martyn Welch martyn at welchs.me.uk
Tue Aug 1 17:10:14 BST 2006

On Tuesday 01 August 2006 15:53, Ken Hough wrote:
> Note the politics, resulting in a discontiuation of support for these
> packages. Very sad!

I agree, it is very sad, but I probably think it is sad for a different reason
from you.

The sad thing for me is that there is any need for binary blobs at kernel
level.

The kernel maintainers don't want them - once a binary blob has been added to
the kernel it becomes very difficult for them to debug crashes and alike, it
also becomes quite hard to deal with on the licensing front. I understand
that people want good hardware compatibility, to use the "best" hardware
available and (sometimes) use Linux. The problem is without the hardware
being openly documented this becomes virtually impossible in an opensource
context.

The solution is to spend your money wisely, support those companies willing to
give you enough information to allow you to use the device you purchased in
whatever manner you see fit. Even if this does mean using a device not
considered to be the "best" on the market - lets face it, it's only
the "best" choice for you if it works...

Martyn

--

Martyn Welch (martyn at welchs.me.uk)

PGP Key : http://www.welchs.me.uk/martyn/pgpkey/