[Lancaster] Re: Help -- Video importing/processing software

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Wed Aug 2 08:53:41 BST 2006

Martyn Welch wrote:

>On Tuesday 01 August 2006 15:53, Ken Hough wrote:
>

>>Note the politics, resulting in a discontiuation of support for these
>>packages. Very sad!
>>

>I agree, it is very sad, but I probably think it is sad for a different reason
>from you.
>
>The sad thing for me is that there is any need for binary blobs at kernel
>level.

I agree.

>The kernel maintainers don't want them - once a binary blob has been added to
>the kernel it becomes very difficult for them to debug crashes and alike, it
>also becomes quite hard to deal with on the licensing front. I understand
>that people want good hardware compatibility, to use the "best" hardware
>available and (sometimes) use Linux. The problem is without the hardware
>being openly documented this becomes virtually impossible in an opensource
>context.
>
>The solution is to spend your money wisely, support those companies willing to
>give you enough information to allow you to use the device you purchased in
>whatever manner you see fit. Even if this does mean using a device not
>considered to be the "best" on the market - lets face it, it's only
>the "best" choice for you if it works...

I have little choice, especially as I intend to carry out already
documented hardware mods to the webcam. This make/type of webcam is
recognised as being simply the best for the job. Other makes don't even
come close.

I understand the philosophy that you describe, but we live in the real
world. Surely, the best way to propagate Linux is to encourage people to
use it and that means enabling them to use the best available hardware.
When we have a guy who is doing his best to provide help despite being
stapped by a NDA, and there is no alternative to hand, then surely it is
foolish to kick him in the teeth. If it wasn't for him, I would have no
alternative but to use MS Windows.

Webcams are now a common part of desktop computer systems.

Only, when more hardware suppliers realise that there is a meaningful
base of non Microsoft users will the situation change for the better. We
need a 'hearts and minds' approach. That's not going to happen with a
purist 'head in the sand' approach from the
Linux community.

IMHO, it is plain stupid to discourage help from the one available source.

The use of 'ndiswrapper' allows commercial wifi drivers to be used under
Linux. I know that this does not involve a kernel patch, but as I wrote
in my previous message "Where there's a will.....".

Ken