[Lancaster] Re: Help -- Video importing/processing software

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Sat Aug 5 11:54:45 BST 2006

Richard Robinson wrote:

>On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 11:32:00AM +0100, David Jenkinson wrote:
>

>>[excuse random snippage]
>>
>>As Richard Robinson said.
>>

>>>It reminds me of the recent attitude of some well known polititians.
>>>They tend not to last very long.
>>>

>[wasn't me. A Ken, I think. Not to worry]
>

>>>Call it preconceived, but to the average (non techy) computer user it
>>>can only be very significant blocking factor.
>>>

>>Perhaps the amount of Linux users is high enough already,

I disagree! More users means more support/feedback/encouragement for the
developers. We all appreciate being appreciated.

>> and I just
>>don't see the concern people have in getting everyone to use Linux. If
>>some don't want to and they have no problem not doing then why try to
>>change their attitude?

If they do not want to then fine. However, the more the Linux user base
grows, the likelyhood of hardware suppliers taking notice and of
providing support will improve.

>I agree with this, mostly. I moved over to Linux in '94/'95, and am still
>pleased I did, _because_ it was easier to use.

Likewise! But, I've now developed sufficient 'techy' experience to work
around most of the inevitable setup problems.

> For my purposes; which are
>not commercial-mainstream enough for anyone to have built the "killer app",
>that would do everything for me already, so I've been hacking together my
>own ideas.
>
>It's in my interest for Linux to have a large (and contributing) user base -
>distributed debugging works; and also general "kudos", encouragement and
>appreciation for the developers, is helpful - but it's not a religion.

Agreed!

>don't understand this "we've got to capture all the windows users" approach.

It's always good fun to think of Bill Gates with egg on his face. ;-)

>>>You are knowledgable enough to be able to make those sacrifices. Most
>>>people are not and do not wish to be. That is not likely to change in
>>>the foreseeable future.
>>>

>>Yeah so forget about them. Theres is enough Linux users now to not have
>>to worry about gaining more. There is enough  hardware support if you
>>are careful about which product you buy, and its better now than its
>>ever been. I don't think the sacrifice of making an operating system
>>that appeals to the masses to ensure hardware support is worth it.
>>Theres no problem in making it difficult enough to use so that the base
>>level user is at least able to read a faq before whingeing to the
>>developers mailing list. Where's the elitist streak in you?
>>

>*grin*
>
>I bought a scanner, a few months back. I went to Matticks, on White Cross,
>because they're very local, and because I quite like them. They gave me the
>usual semi-teasing "uh-oh, here comes the Linux weirdo, this is going to be
>a problem", I pointed them at the SANE support page, we looked at the lists,
>they suprised themselves discovering that the basic cheapo one they had in
>stock was documented as "well-suported", I handed over 35quid and took it
>away ... attempting to set the thing up revealed it wasn't as simple as
>that. There was a chunk of binary info needed, that turned out to be buried
>in some windows-format thing on the drivers disk (documentation recommends
>just reboot into windows & extract it ... huh. I don't run one), google
>shows one (really, only) relevant message to a mailing list pointing out
>an open-source utility that can, and did, do the job. So I mailed the
>relevant developer, he's put links to it into the documentation, and no-one
>else will ever have to think they're stuck on this. Situation improved.

WRT, scanners, I find Epson a good way to go. My distro (SuSE) supports
a LOT of Epson printers out of the box (and many other makes/models as
well) and Epson provide support directly in the form of 'iscan'.

Given the choice (not always practical), I try to support suppliers who
provide at least some support for Linux. eg Epson and Nvidia.

>My point is, that's how it works. Lots of people wouldn't want to go through
>that

And why should we? Why should I? I think you have a rather defeatist view.

> - heck, I wasn't exactly pleased - and that's where there's room for
>people to *make* *money* by making it easy for the people who just want to
>get their work done. But if lots of people contribute what they can without
>getting paid ... well, its pretty astonishing how well it's worked out.

Agreed! It's amazing. Trying to explain this to the average person is
still VERY difficult.

>Microsoft has made fortunes by having to respond to the "I won't use it
>unless it's all really simple" demands; there is no "Linux" to get rich by
>competing with them. As I said before, in the absence of employers deciding
>what the developers do, they're highly likely to do what they want, in the
>way(s) they think are The Right Thing;

Many will, but I suggest that while they might be (probably are)
brilliant hackers, they aren't necessarily able to, nor do they wish to
relate to real world users. Sadly many of them don't.

> and mass-appeal is likely to emerge
>as a side effect,

This does not follow. It's one thing to sit in a corner and attempt to
write the 'perfect solution', but who else cares?
Fortunately, some people are able to see the wider picture, for example
SAMBA has done a lot to get Linux used within MS Windows networks and
demonstrated to many how good and cost effective Linux can be.

> if at all - more than I would have expected, actually,
>eveidently a lot of people do think that's important. (With the result that
>most KDE pointyclicky "help" pages are completely damn useless. "File Menu /
>Open - Open a File". No, really ? Who'd have thought ? But I digress ...)

Personally I like KDE and find it works well. I do not like GNOME, nor
the way that the developers decree that I should have a more
'minimalist' desktop. Long live choice!