[Lancaster] First impressions of SuSE v10.1

Martyn Welch welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Thu May 25 12:58:37 BST 2006

On Thursday 25 May 2006 10:13, Ken Hough wrote:
> Yes in principal -- if I'm free. When is the next meeting?

Next meeting is planned for the 5th June, Furness (Back-)Bar at Lancaster Uni.
Sorry, I missed the Third Tuesday this month!

> The v10.1 installation on my old laptop is very basic. Only a test
> install really and on a spare hard drive. For most purposes  I shall
> probably stick with v9.1 on the laptop, because that incudes the
> 'ltmodem' package for the built in Lucent modem device. Recent versions
> do not. I shall need v10.1 to drive my telescope so a dual boot setup
> could be the solution..

I thought I was going to have a similar problem with my Parents PC when I
moved it from Mandrake 9.2 to Ubuntu 5.10. I had bought the drivers from
Linuxant for their Conexant based Winmodem (glorified soundcard). I can
happily say that they allow you to download the latest version of the driver,
it seems that the activation code is tied to the card (or possibly the
processor) rather than a revision of the software.

> BTW, dispite having Thunderbird and the old Mozilla Mail workimg, I
> still cannot get KMail working. Maybe you could lead me through it some
> time.

Sure. No probs.

Martyn

--