[Lancaster] Printer Problems under SuSE v10.1

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Sat May 27 15:20:22 BST 2006

I might have known things were going too well. Having installed SuSE
v10.1 and got to like it a lot, it seems that there are problems with
printing. Can any of you guys/gals please help.

I've done a bit of investigation and the story so far is:

I have two installations of SuSE v10.1 (on a spare laptop hard drive and
on an Athlon 2200 box), one SuSE v10.0 installation (on an Athlon 1600
box) and a SuSE v9.1 installation on a laptop hard drive. Printing works
on the laptop v9.1 installation and used to work on v9.1 installations
which resided on the two Athlon boxes.

I took a look at /proc/ioports on all of these systems. On the v9.1
installation (which works) there is a single entry for 'parport0'  at
the correct location as shown in the bios utility (ie 03bc-03be --
laptop PC).

In all of the other cases which do not work (ie v10.0 and v10.1), there
are two entries for 'parport0'. The first entry is for the correct
location as per the bios utility (0378-037a in both cases). However, in
all of these installations, there is also a second entry for 'parport0'
at 0778-077a. Is this normal or could this be why there is a problem
with v10.0 and v10.1?

If this is the problem, how do I correct it?

BTW, I did check out the printer, etc using good old DOS -- Sorry, but
it's very quick and simple.