[Lancaster] Printer Problems under SuSE v10.1

Martyn Welch welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Mon May 29 09:01:40 BST 2006

On Saturday 27 May 2006 15:21, Ken Hough wrote:
> I took a look at /proc/ioports on all of these systems. On the v9.1
> installation (which works) there is a single entry for 'parport0'  at
> the correct location as shown in the bios utility (ie 03bc-03be --
> laptop PC).
>
> In all of the other cases which do not work (ie v10.0 and v10.1), there
> are two entries for 'parport0'. The first entry is for the correct
> location as per the bios utility (0378-037a in both cases). However, in
> all of these installations, there is also a second entry for 'parport0'
> at 0778-077a. Is this normal or could this be why there is a problem
> with v10.0 and v10.1?

Hm, that's odd.

I'd have to have a look at an affected machine though.

I'd guess that having 2 devices displaying as parport0 would probably cause a
problem.

> If this is the problem, how do I correct it?

Did you keep any configuration between installations, or is this a completely
fresh install?

> BTW, I did check out the printer, etc using good old DOS -- Sorry, but
> it's very quick and simple.

It also works, I hope you used freeDOS ;-)

Martyn

--

Martyn Welch (welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk)

PGP Key : http://ubicomp.lancs.ac.uk/~martyn/pgpkey/