[Lancaster] Printer Problems under SuSE v10.1

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Tue May 30 08:38:21 BST 2006

Martyn Welch wrote:

>On Saturday 27 May 2006 15:21, Ken Hough wrote:
>

>>I took a look at /proc/ioports on all of these systems. On the v9.1
>>installation (which works) there is a single entry for 'parport0'  at
>>the correct location as shown in the bios utility (ie 03bc-03be --
>>laptop PC).
>>
>>In all of the other cases which do not work (ie v10.0 and v10.1), there
>>are two entries for 'parport0'. The first entry is for the correct
>>location as per the bios utility (0378-037a in both cases). However, in
>>all of these installations, there is also a second entry for 'parport0'
>>at 0778-077a. Is this normal or could this be why there is a problem
>>with v10.0 and v10.1?
>>

>Hm, that's odd.
>
>I'd have to have a look at an affected machine though.
>
>I'd guess that having 2 devices displaying as parport0 would probably cause a
>problem.

Have now looked further at the problem, trying SuSE v10.1 on three
different PCs and it seems that SuSE v10.1 always results in two entries
for parport0 in /proc/ioports. However, this is not the problem.

As usual, I installed printers using YAST. The problem occurs when the
printer config is subjected to 'Test' via YAST. This fails to output
anything to the selected printer and seemingly results any future
attempt at printing via say Open Office or Gimp to be blocked. A reboot
clears this.

Provided that Yast is used only to install printers and  not to 'Test'
them, printing can be done via Open Office, etc.

It looks like the fault is with the current version of YAST.

Having sorted this out, I can still recomment SuSE v10.1 It's good!

<snip>

>>BTW, I did check out the printer, etc using good old DOS -- Sorry, but
>>it's very quick and simple.
>>

>It also works, I hope you used freeDOS ;-)

Er....  No. But I do have a legal version of DOS 6.0.  I bought it back
when most of you guys were still throwing your dummies out of the pram. ;-)

Ken