[Lancaster] Setting up as a uni society.

Martyn Welch welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Tue May 30 12:48:32 BST 2006

On Tuesday 30 May 2006 09:09, Ken Hough wrote:
> Although I've not managed to get to any meetings recently, I do favour
> informal arangements in a pub. This is conducive to informal chat about
> Linux and the meaning of life, and is perhaps more in line with the
> ethos of LUGs.

I agree. Though it's also nice to have a presentation and something "going
on".

> The Yorkie may not be the smartest place in town, but the beer is OK and
> the car park is just across the road. OK, I have a bit of self interest
> here, but this would apply to anyone else from out of town.
>
> Those of you who know me will appreciate that I am at ease with a Uni'
> atmosphere. However, I believe that to non student types, it might seem
> big, confusing and a more remote than a pub or similar.

Though the beer is good (Furness is in the good beer guide) and cheap ;-)

> When we previously had a definate base for meetings (the Folly), it
> seemed that we spent practically all of our time in sorting out hardware
> rather than in useful talk/debate, etc. Most times, hardware can be
> dealt with at home/work.

That also tended to alienate new-comers, not good.

> An alternative venue for formal presentations is good, but otherwise, I
> favour a pub.

What I'd love is a backroom in a pub, a little quieter than our pub meetings
sometimes are. Internet access and easy access to power would be a definite
plus. Though access to good beer is a must. :-)

Martyn

--

Martyn Welch (welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk)

PGP Key : http://ubicomp.lancs.ac.uk/~martyn/pgpkey/