[Lancaster] Setting up as a uni society.

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Wed May 31 11:16:36 BST 2006

Martyn Welch wrote:

>On Tuesday 30 May 2006 09:09, Ken Hough wrote:
>

>>Although I've not managed to get to any meetings recently, I do favour
>>informal arangements in a pub. This is conducive to informal chat about
>>Linux and the meaning of life, and is perhaps more in line with the
>>ethos of LUGs.
>>

>I agree. Though it's also nice to have a presentation and something "going
>on".

Yes!

>>The Yorkie may not be the smartest place in town, but the beer is OK and
>>the car park is just across the road. OK, I have a bit of self interest
>>here, but this would apply to anyone else from out of town.
>>
>>Those of you who know me will appreciate that I am at ease with a Uni'
>>atmosphere. However, I believe that to non student types, it might seem
>>big, confusing and a more remote than a pub or similar.
>>

>Though the beer is good (Furness is in the good beer guide) and cheap ;-)

Mmmm! Tempting!

>>When we previously had a definate base for meetings (the Folly), it
>>seemed that we spent practically all of our time in sorting out hardware
>>rather than in useful talk/debate, etc. Most times, hardware can be
>>dealt with at home/work.
>>

>That also tended to alienate new-comers, not good.

I often left with the feeling that not much had happened. We spent a lot
of time remedying things that had gone wrong with the Folly hardware.
IMHO we should try to avoid this kind of siituation in future, at least
during the regular meetings.

>>An alternative venue for formal presentations is good, but otherwise, I
>>favour a pub.
>>

>What I'd love is a backroom in a pub, a little quieter than our pub meetings
>sometimes are. Internet access and easy access to power would be a definite
>plus.

That would be ideal. Just the room would be good, but there is likly to
be a cost. We would need more than a handful of people to justify it. --
or a sympathetic landlord.

> Though access to good beer is a must. :-)

Oh yes!

Ken