[Lancaster] Freespire impressions

John Scott john at raystorm.co.uk
Sat Sep 2 13:44:27 BST 2006

Hi Ken

Before you install Ubuntu again, give Mepis a try. I was pleasantly
surprised at how user friendly and quick it is *Boot and run. Im running
a P3 850 with 128MB Ram and it runs like a dream. Device support is
great, the forum is active and the people very helpful and Im not moving
away from it in the foreseeable future.

The single disk download is a live cd, with a Install Me link on the
desktop. Even the Live CD worked quite quickly on my machine. This is
the only small footprint Linux other than DSL that I have tried and It
outweighs all other distro's I tried. I have also attempted Ubuntu 6.06
and Suse 10.1 and was disappointed with performace in both instances.

Regards

John