[Lancaster] USB to Serial adaptor under Ubuntu

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Fri Dec 21 21:43:19 GMT 2007

Can anyone help me to get a USB to serial adaptor working under Ubuntu?

This adaptor is automatically recognised and configured under SuSE
Linux, but not under Ubuntu v7.04. Under SuSE, the relevant kernel
modules 'ftdi_sio' and 'usbserial' are loaded and /dev/ttyUSB0 is created.

Both of these kernel modules are present on my Ubuntu setup, but do not
get loaded. Nor is /dev/ttyUSB0 (or anything similar) created.

I guess that this would be simple for someone who knows what they are
doing.   ;-)