[Lancaster] USB to Serial adaptor under Ubuntu

David Jenkinson cow at dowcow.net
Sat Dec 22 12:34:00 GMT 2007

Ken Hough wrote:
> This adaptor is automatically recognised and configured under SuSE
> Linux, but not under Ubuntu v7.04. Under SuSE, the relevant kernel
> modules 'ftdi_sio' and 'usbserial' are loaded and /dev/ttyUSB0 is created.

I don't know much about Ubuntu, but in Slackware I'd try to manually
load the modules, using modprobe or depmod. Then if it worked I'd add
the relevent modules somewhere in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules I should expect,
unless you only want them to be loaded as and when you needed them. It
becomes a real pain if you have to make some new udev rules.

This is probably not much use, as Ubuntu is supposed to take care of
everything like this for you. Maybe there is a package available which
sets this up for you? Do some modules come as seperate packages, or are
you left to configure the bits of the kernel that aren't in regular use
yourself?

If it was a module I was using often, I'd compile it into my kernel.
Pretty much the only modules I use are proprietry such as Nvidias, and oss.

Have a look in the docs that came with the kernel source, as they can
give you a bit more info on the options you can supply some modules when