[Lancaster] Problems with Ubuntu 7.04

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Sat Jun 9 11:18:59 BST 2007

Hi Guys!

Can you help me with a problem that I'm having with Ubuntu 7.04 (and
Kubuntu 7.04)?

I've installed Ubuntu 7.04 on an IBM Thinkpad T21 (800 MHz PIII, 384MB
RAM) and all seems to be well except for one thing. Successive startups
will either work or will lockup just after the Ubuntu loading progress
bar reaches full span. The screen goes blank and I can't get any
response via the keyboard). If the machine fails to start up on one
occasion, it will definately startup on the next and vice versa. The
effect is entirelly predictable.

This has been confirmed this over dozens of restarts and several
reinstallations. I've also tried various boot incantations (such as
acpi=off), all to no avail. I have the same effect with Kubuntu 7.04,
and this was from a CD produced from an ISO image downloaded from the
Ubuntu website. The CD was md5sum checked against the website value.

I installed Ubuntu 7.04 on another PC which I use for testing (500 MHZ
AMD K6II with 384MB RAM). In this case, startup is reliable and without
problems, but on shutdown, the PC power does not switch off.

I thought Ubuntu was the bee's knees wrt ease of installation. Never had
this sort of problem with SuSE.   ;-)

I'm keen to get Ubuntu sorted for two reasons:

1. Insurance against the Novell/Microsoft thing.

2. I'm a beta tester for a neat cross platform image aquisition app.
I've now got the app working on my main SuSE v10.2 system, but the
standard setup for installation/testing is Ubuntu/Kubuntu 7.04.

Any thought's, or even better -- solutions.

Regards