[Lancaster] is your ISP using Phorm's site tracking system?

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Mon Apr 7 23:21:59 BST 2008

Hello all,

I just found out about this:
http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=1273

It's a way for a third party company to track your internet usage (site
visits) at the ISP level by directing your page requests through a
series of proxies that inject bogus cookies into your connection with
the website. These cookies are then used by the company ('Phorm') to
gather information on what sites people are interested in in order to
target advertising. If anyone else doesn't like this, it might be worth
writing to your ISP to ask if they are using, or have plans to do so in
the future. I have written to mine (metronet) and they have said they
are not using it at the moment but have so far refused to say whether
they have any plans to do so in the future. (Their words were
'There is no further information regarding this, other than what my
colleague has replied.' )

andy