[Lancaster] Observations on Installing and setting up Debian, Ubuntu, and SUSE on a Thinkpad T21:

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 7 21:27:00 UTC 2008

Following on from some comments that I made earlier:

Debian Etch also turned out to be a problem on my laptop! Exactly the
same hangup occured during bootup as with Debian Lenny. That jogged my
memory.

When I first installed Ubuntu v 7.04 on my Thinkpad T21 laptop, I got
unpredictable behaviour during bootup, sometimes hanging up. A look
around the Internet showed that this was a known problem with some
laptop PCs, including the Thinkpad T21. The reason is that the graphics
card doesn't fully anounce it's hardware spec. The solution is to hack
the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and add the missing details, which I had to
do back when I was using Ubuntu v7.04.

I haven't confirmed this, but I bet it's the same problem with Debian
Etch and Debian Lenny. Ubuntu v8.04 seems to be OK in this respect.

After these hangups and the failure of Debian Lenny to find and
configure my sound card, I've decided not to bother any more with
Debian. As I mentioned at the Pub on Monday, I found Ubuntu to exhibit a
few 'wobblies' as well, so I'm not going to continue with Ubuntu.

I've gone back to SUSE. In fact to SUSE v10.3 which I've used previously
on this laptop and have found to be rock solid. Compared with Debian and
Ubuntu, installation was a breeze. Unlike with Debian, the installer
isn't from the stone age (I mean the GUI!), and it works well. The
partitioning stage is far neater on SUSE, and so far everything works
without having to hack anything, including the sound system! I'm playing
a CD on it presently.

I understand that guys who are content to have to hack a system to make
it work properly (real Man's work  :-) ), might like Debian. I believe
that if a distro sets out to install Linux, then by now one should be
able to expect it to do the job properly. For me Debian doesn't seem to
have anything to offer that SUSE can't provide.

I've often heard the argument that Debian installs a smaller system than
other distros. Well, during an attempt to install Debian, I noted that
817 packages (I think that's correct) were to be installed. SUSE
installed 840 something packages. Not an enormous difference!

I guess this will get the Debian hacks going, but I thought that these
observations might be of general interest.

Ken Hough