[Lancaster] Observations on Installing and setting up Debian, Ubuntu, and SUSE on a Thinkpad T21:

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 11 14:35:11 UTC 2008

Umm! I think that my comments re problems that I had with Debian/Ubuntu
v SUSE have not been taken as I had intended.

I didn't intend to bang the drum for SUSE above all other distros. I was
trying to make the point that some distros do not 'work out of the box'
as perhaps one might reasonably expect.

Competant sys admins and other experienced Linux hackers, might not
think this to be important, but to a 'newbie' it can be a real show
stopper. Imagine if Microsoft Windows were to throw up problems during a
simple installation......

I appreciate that Microsoft have a different business model/phylosophy
from the Linux community, but if Linux is to really make serious inroads
on the (non-professional/corporate) desktop and become widely popular,
IMHO, it must work reliably straight out of the box, and with most
PC/laptop hardware. This is the point that I was trying to make.

While Ubuntu is widely publicised as being (MS Windows) user friendly
and still suffers from 'wobblies' and inabillity to properly recognise
and configure for well known hardware, this can only adversely affect
the case for Linux in the eyes of potential non-technical users.

Perhaps Linux is it's own worst enemy in that it can be configured to
tackle pretty much any computer based task. I don't believe that should
be an excuse for not providing rock solid configuration for desktop use.
The potential benefits for computer users in general are IMHO too great
to duck this issue.

Ken Hough