[Lancaster] distro for audio / music stuff

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Wed Aug 13 09:18:51 UTC 2008

andy baxter wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good distro for doing simple music recording /
> editing / etc? I use ubuntu for everything else, but I've just spent a
> fair bit of money on a new external firewire sound card with 2 inputs
> and outputs, and then found various annoying bugs in the programs I'm
> using (jackd, ardour, and zynaddsubfx so far), which is making me think
> that the ubuntu people don't really have audio work as their main
> priority when keeping packages up to date. I could use 'planet CCRMA'
> (http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/), but this is fedora
> based I would rather use something debian based.

I'm just trying out 64studio ( 64studio.com ). It seems to be very
closely based on debian (it uses all debian repositories unless you want
bleeding edge stuff which they have their own repository for). So far I
am massively impressed. The installation was easy enough - you could
complain about the lack of a graphical installer, but it isn't really
necessary, and there weren't too many questions to answer. All my
hardware seems to have been detected ok (on an IBM / lenovo thinkpad).
And it is so much faster / more responsive than ubuntu - programs start
in under half the time I would say than on ubuntu. I found this very
surprising, because I thought ubuntu was pretty close to debian as well.

The main thing I was worrying about with switching to a distro so close
to debian is that I would have to do a lot of extra work setting up
things like detecting and mounting usb devices, which as far as I
remember wasn't set up by default last time I was running debian as a
desktop. But it detects and mounts my usb hard drive fine.

The audio programs I wanted to use (jackd and ardour) are working better
than in ubuntu so far, which is why I decided to have a look at 64
studio in the first place, so that's good.

Will write more if I come across anything else noteworthy in the next
week or so.

andy