[Lancaster] Website

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 20 13:44:36 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 19 November 2008 19:39:25 Wayne Ward wrote:
> Yes andy thats why i dumped 64studio because its far to stable and the
> apps are older and i was having to mix repositories etc which was a
> pain!!  I love debian but ubuntu is so the same with more apps and more
> user base etc so ive moved back to ubuntu like. I can see why you have
> gone testing though - its just the same nearly as running ubuntu studio
> as thats unstable but probably might be better for linux-rt  ??.. worth
> a try ...
>
> The poster sounds great apart from the word tinker!
>
> Learn how they work and "tinker" with them as you wish.
>
> It might be good to add to the bottom some distro names as people might
> accsioate with them - they might not know that ubuntu is linux but heard
> the word ubuntu etc?...
>
> Ubuntu - debian -suse - redhat - gentoo -novell - fedora - knoppix
>
> Added to the bottom small bold
>
> What do you think??...

What do I think?

I think that it's possible to give too much info'. Remember the KISS
principle?

Shouldn't the emphasis be on Linux. It's hard enough to get people interested
in Linux and the concept of open source stuff, without then frightening them
with a vast range of distros and their relative pros and cons.

We can't agree on that!   :-)

The chances are nowadays that some will have heard of Ubuntu. The likes of
Gentoo or Debian would hardly be a good introduction for a Windows noddy!

I think the poster should be kept distro neutral.