[Lancaster] Website

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 19 11:05:03 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 18 November 2008 20:36:16 Wayne Ward wrote:
> Hi hope all is well im just wondering if we have the username and
> passwords required for the LUG webspace yet as im dropping this server
> soon and could do with moving the lug site across soonish...
> David and myself will be carrying the work out so if you have any
> requirements please ask. Also no one has taken the poster maker role for
> the lug! So ill guess ill end up doing it!!  So if you fancy a dabble
> say now or forever hold your peace!!!
>
> Is anyone interested in the meeting tomorrow night or shall we just
> stick to the traditional monthly meeting this month until we sort out
> the project with andy?  ( i think this would be best cant see a lot of
> people turning up)

Like Andy (see another message), I'm happy to keep it to the first Wednesday
in the month.

> Hope all is well - Well im all settled in using ubuntu - and gnome! - I
> havent used gnome for over 7 years or so now, im very happy with it ive
> not its a lot slicker than kde 4!!

Personally, I still use KDE3.5. I find Gnome to be just too minimalistic for
my taste!

> I have the latest version of
> evolution which allows me to connect my - mail / calendar & emails on
> google, so ive changed mail hosting for free to google moved MX records
> and setup shared calendar and contacts etc so i have have a full sync
> between my google phone and evolution works perfectly! and without
> having to host my own kolab server!! google allows upto 200 users aswell
> and paid accounts can be setup for corporates!
>
> As for gnome its come on leaps and bounds for me being a KDE lover !
> its well intergrated plenty of good apps and so much slicker its pretty
> much like kde 3.5.9 compared to kde 4 (a world of difference!)

To be fair, KDE4 is still a work in progress, and in many ways is different
from KDE3.5.

> Im finding it very productive for business and the uptime has been great
> so far...  on the asus I had some problems as i used the kernel from
> array.org which is designed for the extra hot keys and other little
> things for the asus to function but i had problems with audio skipping
> which is pretty bad as i use the laptop for my act for backing tracks so
> when its skipped it was a little embarassing so i upgraded to the
> lastest ubuntu kernel last night and backported the wifi driver and its
> all fine now in fact it more responsive and my wifi strength has
> doubled??!! Ive just today added the getdeb repository and got the
> latest versions of ardour pidgin / wine and some other quality apps plus
> it installs the deb for google gadgets!
>
> So happy days computer wise!!

Likewise! I've been trying out a lot of stuff and have come to the conclusion
that for multimedia, because of absence of drivers, 64 bit can be a pain. I'm
still liking SUSE more than Debian. Each has it's own
advantages/disadvantages.

So what I've done is to set up the 640GB hard drive of my Quad core PC as
follows:

1st pri partition:   Windows XP Pro    --  sorry, but I have stuff which will
run only under MS Windows.

2nd pri partition: 64 bit SUSE Linux v11.0 /boot

3rd pri partition: 64 bit Debian 5 Lenny /boot

4th extended partition:

5th logical partition: SUSE /

6th logical partition: Linux SWAP

7th logical partition: Linux /home

8th logical partition: Windows D:   (NTFS)

9th logical partition: Windows E:  (FAT32)

10th logical partition: Debian /

11th logical partition: spare (unmounted) ext3

Under both SUSE and Debian I can run Virtual Box and so can run various other
OSes.

I've installed boot loaders into the SUSE and the Debian /boot partitions, so
if one loader should get corrupted, by reseting the active partition, I can
work from the other  --- and Windows XP won't stamp on them if I need to use
setup.exe!

I use a common /home partition. Except for some desktop links, most things
work OK from either SUSE or Debian.

During installation/re-installation of OSes, I just make damned sure that I
don't re-format the /home partition.

If anyone is looking for a good rescue and hard disk setup/partitioning tool,
have a look at 'System rescue CD v1.1.0'. Excellent! Linux of course!

Ken Hough

<snip>