[Lancaster] Help needed with Anaogue/Digital TV/Radio Card under Linux

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 4 15:32:33 UTC 2008

Hi Guys!

Two things:

First, some feedback relating to my new desktop PC. I bought this from Mesh
Computers. The basic spec is:

Model  -- Elite Pro 8200T
Processor  -- Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz
RAM           -- 4GB, for now, but maximum allowed is 8GB
Graphics  --  nVidia GeForce 9500GT   (OK as I'm not a serious games freak)
Motherboard -- ASUS P5K SE

The machine came with 64 bit Windows Vista Home Premium pre-installed. I had
no choice with this. Despite this being quite a fast machine, Vista runs as
if it is immersed in treacle! Unbelievably SLOW! I cannot begin to
understand, how Microsoft could have expected this to take off.

The Vista desktop includes an annoying amount of useless eye candy and message
ballons keep popping up as if the machine had a mind of it's own.

The hard drive is 750GB SATA, so I decided to use the Vista disc management
tools to 'shrink' the Vista partition, so as to have lots of space for Linux.
Despite Vista occupying only 36GB or so, I was not allowed to shrink this
partiton to less than 363GB !!!! And yes! I did defrag Vista first!

I then tried using 'gparted' (which does understand NTFS) in 'SystemRescueCD
v1.1.0' to shrink the partition further, but this complained that there was
an error on the partition. Funny? VIsta checked it and found it to be OK. Is
this yet another case of Microsoft playing at silly b*****s?

There was another primary partition of approx 23GB which I guess is some sort
of Vista backup. So with Vista present, just over half of the hard drive is
not available for other use, and only 2 other main partitions can be created.

Using 'gparted', I was able to set up 1 more primary partiton to serve as a
boot partition for Linux, and an extended partition to hold the rest of a
Linux system.

I've installed 64 bit SUSE v11.0. This is impressive!!! And on the quad core
processor, is fast! SUSE v11.0 is very professionally turned out, and without
too much useles eye candy. From the installation menu, there's a choice of
installing gnome, KDE v 4, KDE v3.5, and 'others'. I opted for the stable KDE
v3.5.

As usual with SUSE, installation was a doddle, and impressively quick. The
installed system boots in under 30 seconds and after entering a password, the
KDE desktop appears in 5 to 8 seconds. Even Open Office takes only a few
seconds to run up! This is a stark contrast to Vista which takes over 1 1/2
minutes to get to the login screen and then another 30 seconds or so to run
up the desktop.

I'm in two minds as to whether to keep Vista to demonstrate how bad it is, or
to wipe it off the drive and make better use of the space.

The PC motherboard includes a parallel ATA socket as well as four series ATA
sockets, plus an external SATA socket, so there's plenty of scope for
expansion.

Anyway, on to my second point:

This PC includes a PCI digital/analogue TV/FM Radio card (a KWorld DVB-T 210),
which I've proved to work under Vista. There is some info on the Internet to
the effect that this card has been made to work under Linux (Ubuntu and
SUSE), but this is not an area where I really know what I'm doing. I know
that when the appropriate modules are loaded (saa7134 and saa7134_dvb) it's
necessary to specify parameters such as 'card=xx' and 'tuner=xx', but am
floundering as to how to do the job properly.

Does anyone know how to do this, or can point me towards clear information as
to how to do this?